Effectively navigating the menopausal phase requires a nuanced understanding of the myriad changes it brings, particularly in relation to skin health. Menopause signifies a profound shift in a woman’s life, impacting various aspects of well-being, with a notable focus on skin health. The reduction in estrogen levels during menopause initiates a series of transformations that significantly influence skin health.
CHOSEN® by Dermatology, a prominent skincare brand, offers a selection of products designed to assist you in preserving radiant skin throughout menopause. CHOSEN® has completed 4 years and is celebrating their 4th anniversary as CHOSEN®4You conclave.
Understanding Menopause’s Impact on the Skin:
The decline in estrogen, a hormone pivotal for collagen production, has far-reaching effects on the skin:
- Reduced Collagen Production: Diminished estrogen levels decrease collagen, a crucial element for skin firmness and elasticity. This decline often results in a loss of skin firmness, contributing to reduced elasticity and increased fine lines and wrinkles, particularly around the eyes and mouth.
- Thinner and Sagging Skin: Lower estrogen levels contribute to lighter, less resilient skin that is more prone to sagging, influencing the skin’s overall appearance.
- Pigmentary Changes: Menopause can trigger the emergence of pigmentary spots such as age spots and uneven skin tone, often stemming from hormonal fluctuations during this phase.
- Skin Dryness: Reduced natural oil production in the skin leads to dryness and an increased susceptibility to flakiness, causing discomfort.
Skincare Tips for Menopause:
- Sun Protection: Consistently using sunscreen protects the skin from premature ageing. Opt for moisturising antioxidant sunscreens like SAFESCREEN® Munnar Sunscreen SPF 40+ for reliable protection against harmful UV rays. Applying a hydrating, non-occlusive moisturiser before sunscreen can lock in moisture and create a protective barrier for the skin.
- Collagen Supplements and Diet: Post-menopause, addressing collagen depletion becomes a priority for skin structure. Incorporate collagen-rich foods into the diet and consider collagen supplementation. Studies indicate the effectiveness of collagen supplements in preventing breakdown by a substantial percentage and improving skin hydration in a relatively short timeframe. Consider using research-backed, mercury-free marine collagen powders like TOR™ Marine Collagen supplements for optimal results.
- Collagen Boosters: For vegan-friendly alternatives, explore products infused with plant-based antioxidants. WAH-TOR™ vegan collagen builder, containing three potent plant antioxidants, works in synergy with collagen supplements, supporting the production of new collagen and enhancing skin moisture and elasticity.
Recognising the necessity for a holistic approach during menopause is crucial. Adapting skincare routines to accommodate these changes can significantly impact skin health during this transitional period. A combination of internal and external care is essential for maintaining radiant and healthy skin during menopause.
In summary, adjusting skincare habits to align with the changes during menopause is pivotal, playing a fundamental role in upholding healthy, vibrant skin and confidently embracing this new phase of life.