A Master’sMaster’s in Legal Studies (MLS) is designed for students who want to make a significant contribution to the legal profession. And with the increasing sophistication of technology, it can be difficult for attorneys from any background to keep up with new developments and find time for continuing professional education.
Fortunately, there are many selling online courses options for becoming an attorney today.This guide discusses what you need to know about online MLS programs, including information on program requirements, application processes and timelines, financial aid considerations, and more.
What is an Online MLS Degree?
An Online MLS Degree is a graduate degree designed to train law professionals to advance and promote legal education. Courses often focus on evaluating and developing legal theory, research skills, professional responsibility, and applied ethics.
There are many options for coursework, but some areas of study could include:
- Legal Writing
- Comparative Law
- Information Technology in the Law
- Trial Practice
- Ethics in Professional Practice
- Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- International Business Transactions
Because courses are only offered online, students can complete their studies while working full time as attorneys or practicing law.
Online Master’sMaster’s in Legal Studies Requirements
The majority of Online MLS programs require a bachelor’sbachelor’s degree. Students are usually required to complete an undergraduate degree in a specific field, though certain courses can be substituted for others.Additionally, the student must have demonstrated their analytical capabilities and written skills through undergraduate coursework.
Students who wish to complete an online MLS program may have to submit evidence that they have high analytical skills and a background in law, but it is not always required. Online programs can also be completed without prior legal experience, as some schools require applicants to show previous academic achievement or provide examples of relevant work experience.
Online MLS Program Admissions Timeline
With the increasing popularity of the Internet and modern technology, Online MLS programs have been coming to life for several years now. To date, more than 230 accredited schools are offering Online MLS programs. The most popular time to apply is during the fall semester every year.
Some schools only accept applicants from a specific area or state, so make sure to check before applying. In addition, most Online MLS programs require that you submit your application by a designated date and date range, so don’tdon’t delay applying! Some programs accept applications at any time of the year, but these are in high demand, so apply early if possible.
Online Master’sMaster’s in Legal Studies Financial Aid
The majority of Online MLS programs are fully funded tuition-free options. Schools offering any form of financial aid to students tend to do so with the understanding that they will be employed full-time upon graduation. If they do not get a job after graduation, they are expected to pay the entire cost of their education back.
If your target school is not fully funded, you may need to take out additional loans or focus on earning outside scholarships. Focusing on scholarships can be helpful for those without expressed interest in taking out additional loans, but this does raise the total cost for all students.
Online Master’sMaster’s in Legal Studies Courses
Online MLS programs have been gathering momentum over the last several years, but many questions still exist about which program to choose. Although Web-based courses have been around for a long time, the number of accredited Online MLS programs increases every year. In addition, the courses vary greatly from school to school, and course providers often include alternative learning options.
Students should consider the following when trying to choose an Online MLS program:
- Does it offer training in your chosen area? Most Online MLS programs focus on one specific legal field with a select group of topics taught in a particular order.Although the curriculum may be general, many programs offer flexibility in course type and coursework required.
- What level of technology is used? Achieving a high level of understanding using technology is an important part of any learning process, and students should consider which program uses modern technology for how to sell courses.
- Can you afford it? Financial aid is offered at most Online MLS programs, but it can still be an expensive option. Students who can pay for their education will take full advantage and may need to take out additional loans to get through school.
- How many students are enrolled? This will be a major factor when selecting a program as there are often more applicants than available places in each class.